The definition of a cold room is quite clear from its name. It is essentially any room with a temperature lower than what an air conditioning system can attain and is generally between temperatures of -30°C to +15°C.
Suppose you’re in the food & beverages, logistics, warehousing or pharmaceuticals business or have central kitchens to deal with. In that case, you need to store perishable goods in a commercial or industrial cold room with an ideal temperature and environment. They typically come with insulated walls, refrigeration units, and temperature control systems to maintain a desired temperature.
Understanding cold room refrigeration systems and components.
Let’s look at the following major components to allow for some basic understanding of the refrigeration system used in a cold room.
- Compressor: A critical component of any refrigeration system, it compresses the refrigerant gas and drives the refrigerant around the refrigeration cycle. Its function is similar to our heart, passing our blood throughout the body.
- Condenser: Typically located close to the compressor, it expels the heat absorbed by the evaporator coil to a cooling medium akin the outdoor air.
- Expansion Valve: It controls the flow of the liquefied refrigerant and where the liquified gas expands and changes into a vapour.
- Evaporator Coils: This is where the liquid gas expands and boils, a process that lowers the coil’s temperature, absorbing the heat from its surroundings and thus cooling the air around it.
- Fans: Mounted in front of evaporator coils and within the cold room, it distributes cold air to different corners. This cools the entire room and reduces temperature variation within the cold room.
Apart from those mentioned above, a cold room’s other components include the insulation panel, insulated doors, control panel, strip curtain and weatherproof lighting,
Choosing a cold room builder
Choosing the right cold room builders is essential for any business that relies on cold storage. Poor construction and installation of a cold room can lead to increased energy costs, costly repairs, and even spoilage of valuable inventory. That’s why choosing a reputable and experienced cold room contractor with a strong understanding of selecting the correct and matching compressors, air coolers, and condensers is crucial.
Choosing professional and experienced cold room builders and cold room suppliers with a proven track record of delivering high-quality and reliable cold rooms is essential. Your cold storage needs will be in good hands by choosing a builder with the knowledge and expertise to provide the best possible solution.
Roller Asia combines a vast knowledge of crucial refrigeration equipment selection with best-in-class implementation. As a distributor of Bock compressors and Roller coolers, we differ from the generic cold room contractor in the market, which selects the refrigeration equipment based on pricing alone. Using our German-engineered bock compressors, Roller Coolers and Condensers, gets you quality refrigeration system design using reputable and marketing leading brands.
An example is the superior design of our Roller branded air coolers and condensers.
With in-line copper tube arrangements that reduce the rate of ice accumulation on the coils, our cold room air coolers/evaporators reduce defrosting duration and frequency required. Thus lowering your electric bill.
Completing our heat exchange equipment service is the KVN series of air conditioning and cold room condenser, constructed from 1.5 mm to 2.0mm thick zinc-plated steel sheet for strength and powder coated for corrosion and scratch resistance.
Its fin-to-fin distance is kept at 3.0mm for minimum heater transfer surface and to maximise heat transfer in a compact size. 450mm and 500mm fan motors with a high volumetric flow are used for these ranges using German-designed condensers
Building Your Cold Room
A good start is to define your needs. This helps you quote not only the right equipment but more specific designed and specialised cold room contractors that fits your requirement. Here are some of your considerations.
- Size and Capacity: It’s essential to determine your cold room’s correct size and capacity based on your needs. You need to consider the amount of product you will be storing and how much space you have available.
- Temperature Requirements: Depending on the type of products you are storing, you need to consider the temperature requirements of your cold room. Some products require freezing temperatures, while others only require chiller temperatures.
- Insulation Thickness: The insulation of the walls, ceiling, and floor is crucial in maintaining the temperature inside the cold room. Ensure your cold room has adequate insulation to prevent heat transfer and energy loss.
- Refrigeration System: The refrigeration system is the heart of your cold room, so it’s essential to choose an energy-efficient, reliable, and easy to maintain. Consider a standby system in your design if you keep high-value products and cannot afford downtime.
- Flooring: The flooring should also be able to withstand the weight of heavy products.
- Finding the correct cold room contractor like Roller Asia!
For more information or guidance on building a walk in cold room in Singapore, learn more by getting in touch with us here!